empowering the future of louisiana agriculture
Louisiana Farm Bureau Foundation
We are vitally interested in having the business of agriculture run by future generations of farm and ranch families. To help achieve this goal, we formed a tax-exempt foundation to award scholarships to deserving students pursuing careers in agriculture, named the Linda & Wayne Zaunbrecher Scholarship. We awarded the first two scholarships in 1993, and since then we have awarded 150 scholarships — for a total of $229,500 — to assist graduating high school seniors in their first year of college. In 2017, we will award five $2,000 scholarships to applicants submitted by the parish Farm Bureaus. The winners will be selected based on grade point average, ACT scores, individual achievement in high school, participation in parish and state Farm Bureau activities, and financial need. Scholarships will be awarded to winners in initial payments of $1,000 per semester for 2017-2018. We are very pleased to announce that if this year’s winners remain qualified, they may reapply every year to continue their scholarships for a total of 4 years. The amount of money paid to each winner may vary from year to year.
2017 Scholarship Eligibility Requirements & Deadlines
- Applicants or their parents must be current members of the Louisiana Farm Bureau Federation.
- Applicants must have earned a cumulative grade point average of 2.5 or higher for four years of high school.
- Applicants must graduate from high school in the spring of 2017.
- Applicants must attend an accredited Louisiana college or university during the fall and spring immediately following their high school graduation. The scholarship may not be deferred.
- Applicants must pursue a curriculum in agriculture, vocational agriculture, agribusiness, agriscience, or other curriculum directly benefiting the agricultural sector of Louisiana’s economy
- Scholarship winners must earn a minimum grade point average of 2.5 during the first semester and maintain a major course of study in agriculture for the second semester in order to qualify for the second payment.
YEARS TWO, THREE AND FOUR
- Scholarship winners may reapply to continue receiving their award for the spring and fall terms of each successive year for three additional years. The amount of the scholarship award may vary each successive year.
- Applicants and/or their parents must maintain membership in the Louisiana Farm Bureau Federation.
- Applicants must have earned at least a 2.5 GPA for the spring term in order to re-apply for the next fall.
- Applicants must retain a major field of study in agriculture at an accredited Louisiana university in order to qualify for an extension of the scholarship.
- If an applicant fails to maintain eligibility in any spring term, that applicant may not apply for the succeeding fall term.
2016 Scholarship Winners
If you qualify, obtain an application from your local Farm Bureau office. Complete it and return it to the same office. Each parish will select one applicant to be submitted for consideration as a state winner.
2017 Scholarship Application Deadlines
Scholarship applications must be submitted to your local Farm Bureau office by February 28, 2017. (The deadline for parishes to submit applicants to the State Office is March 17, 2017.)
For More Information
Contact Marsha Lieux by e-mail or phone at 225-922-6240.